“Being on the Peddar’s Way, the ancient Roman road which remained in use as a north-south trackway, and on the pilgrim route to the shrine at Walsingham, it was a prosperous community with inns and hostels built to cater for travellers and pilgrims. This prosperity must have helped to finance the rebuilding of the parish church in the 14th and 15th centuries in the most up-to-date Perpendicular style of slender piers, soaring arches and tall windows.
Though substantially restored in 1846 and again in 1875, the church still contains many medieval treasures. The hexagonal font, dating from the fifteenth century, has the original counter-balance mechanism of its cover in working order and its red, green and gold paintwork has been uncovered during restoration works.
The 15th century goblet pulpit has painted images of the four Latin Doctors of the Church and the same high quality craftsmanship can be seen in the surviving panels of the rood screen depicting the eleven disciples and St Matthias and the instruments by which they were tortured.”